Kids will like it
In Nizhny Novgorod there is a free museum “Russian Locomotives” in an open area. it Is located in the village Sortirovochny in Kanavinsky district of Nizhny Novgorod, far from the main “tourist” (and not tourist) trails, but when it’s possible you should to bring your child, especially a boy, into this place.
Sorry, my English isn’t good. I would like to see your comments with my errors.
At least, we went there several times on our car, so our child like it. In may 2014 we brought friends and their children who are older our boy. The boys said that we went not in vain. I read that in other cities there are more solid museums locomotives. In my opinion, in order to appreciate the greatness of these whoppers (wow, what big wheels, funny stairs), this site is enough.
On the other hand, on public transport, besides with the children, I wouldn’t go just for the sake of this place, but you can combine this with recreation at nearby lake which is called Sortyrovochnoe.
The museum has 15 locomotives copies issued in Russia, the Soviet Union and other countries in the XX century. Among the monuments of the rails tiles lined with neat paths. Children have a place to climb and run. Unfortunately, there are no plates with explanations, so that it is impossible to estimate the numbers, at least, weight and power giants. according to our numerous visits, the Garbage is available, but does not accumulates. And the homeless, if they spend the night here, it seems, not much make a garbage in “habitat”. Not so much visible, but someone in any case is taking care of monuments, colors it, makes minor repairs.
For adults… if they without children, one time, probably enough. Although every visit I notice some new nuances. For example, under the impression adventure movies, I always thought, when we looked at sites along the locomotive boiler: as people move on the go. And last time I realized that the crew does not run on the go and does not serve to boiler :).
Oh, and for “emotional” evaluation of the Museum are offered to look to our gallery which consists of “tourist” photos.
If the interest in visiting is not losted, study the pictures and schemes of the steam locomotive to explain to your children, where do they get in a tender or in the furnace :). Perhaps even prints. (The schemes is included in the guide). Who would not like to mess with printouts, remember the basic terms of a simple schematic, and who has a better memory or like to use Cribs, use a complex schematic. The minimum time spent about 20 minutes only to see. For children the same count somewhere on the hour or the hour plus half.
And pay attention to other, similar, Museum of electric transport which is better positioned closer to the center of Nizhniy Novgorod. To get there is not easy too, but easier than to museum of locomotives.
1- steam machine; 2 — boiler; 3 — boiler furnace; 4 — crew, 5 — rear bogie; 6 — tender; 7 — space combustion in the boiler furnace; 8 — flame and smoke pipes; 9 — front bogie
1 — furnace; 2 — ashpan(зольник); 3 — steam boiler; 4 — smoke box; 5 — cabin; 6 — tender; 7 — steam hood; 8 — safety valve; 9 — valve controller; 10 — steam superheater; 11 — steam machine; 12 — cone; 13 — steam distribution mechanism; 14 — drive controller; 15 — crew; 16 — support bogie; 17 — run bogie; 18 — Buchs; 19 — spring suspension; 20 — brake pad; 21 — vapor pump; 22 — coupling device; 23 — whistle; 24 — sandbox.
Sorry, translate terms is a difficult task. We could discuss it in the comments.
As for museums of technics in Nizhny Novgorod in General, then not too long ago on the rowing channel <Victory Park> with exhibition of military equipment Russia appeared and developed. Children it will probably like it more.
For those who are interested in "specifications", I put together information from another site (www.gorky-parovoz.narod.ru ), which is considered the "official" website of the Museum, in tentative guide. Download and print. in guide there is a link to another interesting site for lovers of the history of steam locomotives, where there are large pictures and interesting descriptions. And someone will be quite brief and a list basic information such as weight, power, speed and efficiency
- ЬВН -9773 – Nevsky shipbuilding plant, St. Petersburg in early 1900-ies. (54 tn, 300 hp, 25 m/h, 4%)
- ЭМ 720-07 – Lugansk, Kharkov, Bryansk and Sormovskiy plants from 1931 to 1935. (82,9 tn, 1800 hp, 40 m/h, 7%)
- ЭР 761-96 – Lugansk, Bryansk plants from 1934 to 1936 (85,8 tn, 2000 hp, 40 m/h, 7,2%)
- ТЭ-662 – Trophy, German. (86 tn, 1500 hp, 50 m/h, 7.5%)
- ЭН-1 – Nevsky Shipyard from 1916 to 1920. (80,4 tn, 1500 hp, 35 m/h, 7%)
- Э-1112 – Kharkovsky. Kolomna, Bryansk, Sormovskiy plants in 1912. (80,4 tn, 1500 hp, 35 m/h, 8%)
- ЭУ-684-52 – Kolomna, Lugansk, Kharkov, Bryansk, Sormovskiy plants from 1926 to 1931. (85 tn, 1500 hp, 40 m/h, 7%)
- Эш 44-52 Plants Golm and Nidkvist in Tollhettane (Sweden) from 1922 to 1924 (80,4 tn, 1500 hp, 35 m/h, 6%)
- ЭГ 52-39 Unions Lokoferbant plants (Germany) from 1921 to 1923 (80,4 tn, 1500 hp, 35 m/h, 6,5%)
- 9П-18430 Kolomna factory 1935-1957 years (55,2 tn, 22 m/h,)
- СО17 – 2956 Kharkov factory 1934-1951 years (96,5 tn, 2000 hp, 47 m/h, 6,5%)
- ЛВ-0225 Voroshilovgrad plant 1952-1956 years (121 tn, 2420 hp, 56 m/h, 8%
- СУ 253-33 Sormovskiy plant (Nizhny Novgorod) 1947-1951 years (86,6 tn, 1500 hp, 70 m/h, 7,8%)
- П36-0071 Kolomna factory 1950-1956 years (135 tn, 3000 hp, 78 m/h, 8,2%)
- Л-0818 Kolomna, Voroshilovgrad, Bryansk plants 1945-1955 years (102 tn, 220 hp, 55 m/h, 7%)
Free. You can climb on any locomotive. Almost all in locomotives is the real, however, somewhat dismantled. Territory obviously is cleaned. Children have a place to frolic.
Unfortunate location. The majority of cabins and boilers closed. For some time now there are no signs with information (but You can download «guide»). In the absence of protection there are broken bottles, rubbish.
Reviews of friends and acquaintances
- Mike (7): All right. Not want to leave. There you can play in the war.
- Dima (9): Nice
- Alex (12): we could visit the museum locomotives again.
- Natalia(more than 30): Be sure to visit!
- Mike(40): Monumental.
How to get to the Museum
The museum is located near the railroad Nizhny Novgorod - Moscow, 200 meters from the platform "Nizhny Novgorod-Sortirovochnaya".
By car. From Moscow highway turn off the street "Forest Town" or from str. Kuzbass on the ring turn onto the str. Elektrovoznaya. And then to the coordinates : 56.285216, 43.847795 or at Arkhangelsk str., 1.
Alternatively, by train Gorokhovetsky directions from "Moscow railway station" in Nizhny Novgorod to station Sortirovochnaya and then go about 200 meters along the railway tracks ahead.
By trolleybus №25 to station «Arhangelska str» and go to homes with the lowest numbers.
By bus №48 minibus №47, 48 to station «Palace of culture of railwaymen» and go back almost one stop station.
Address: Nizhny Novgorod, Arhangelska str,1. Official address (there is not working Museum Building railway junction Gorky-Sortirovochny): Klubnaya str, 5, tel. (831) 248-72-54
Coordinates: 56.285216, 43.847795View larger map